The Final Countdown

Hello again! I (again) apologize for not updating sooner. It has been a crazy ride the last few weeks.

I am now 34 weeks and 5 days pregnant. When I was 29 weeks, I started having contractions and went to labor and delivery to have them stopped. A week later (exactly), I had contractions again, this time starting out at 5-7 minutes apart and by the time I got to the hospital, they were 2-3 minutes apart. They kept me for 26 hours, gave me 4 doses of Picardia to try to stop contractions, IV fluids, and 2 steroid shots to help Josh’s lungs develop. Thankfully, they did get my contractions to finally stop and they put me on modified bedrest until I saw my OB two weeks later. Dr. King took me off restrictions, and I did fine until New Year’s Eve. Mark and I were planning to help chaperone the youth lock in at our church, but around 10pm, I started noticing that I was having some frequent contractions. I decided to time them to see if they were just Braxton-Hicks or actual contractions. They started out around 10-15 minutes apart and slowly got closer together and stronger. Finally, around midnight, I told Mark that they were about 3-5 minutes apart and getting painful, so we needed to go to the hospital. Upon arriving and getting settled into a room, they checked me and told me I had dilated to 2cm and was 50% thinned out. The nurses and doctor said that they could feel the baby’s head “very low” as well. After getting more IV fluids and another dose of Picardia, my contractions finally started to slow down. After several hours, I was released to go home, with instructions to see my doctor again within a week. The next day, I saw the doctor, who put me back on modified bedrest and pelvic rest until I deliver. The doctors want me to make it to at least 36 weeks, and anything after that will be a bonus. Only a week and 2 days until we hit our goal!

Now, my crazy almost-having-the-baby-early thing isn’t all that’s happened. On December 28, Nanny, Mark’s grandma, had a heart attack. She was in the ICU and the cardiologist said that due to extreme blockage in her arteries, they couldn’t do stents and had to have an open heart double bypass surgery. She was in ICU for a day or two following the surgery, then got moved to a regular room. Her heart rate was erratic, so they put in a temporary pacemaker, then a couple days later they put in a permanent one. She was doing well with her recovery until this morning, when she had trouble breathing on her own and had to be sedated and have a breathing tube put in. Nanny is resting in the ICU for at least 24 hours, then they will try weaning her off the breathing tube. It’s going to be a long, slow recovery.

Next Wednesday, Mikey will be turning two. I can’t believe that my little baby is getting so big. He knows most of his colors, all of his animals and what sounds they make, and is doing well with potty training. Where have the last two years gone? What happened to my baby? When did he get so big on me? I wish I could make time stop for a while, so I could hold on to his sweet hugs, kisses, and cuddles while I can. I know all too soon, he won’t want to cuddle with his mommy or get kisses when he has a boo boo.

Until next time, I must say good-bye. It is late, and I am exhausted. Take care, friends.








Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s